Book Review: Khel... The Writings by Vishal Goswami



It’s my first encounter with a horror genre novella, so here it goes my honest review…

Initial impression:
Book cover seems quite common and predictable which failed to impress me that much. Though, blurb impressed me most. So, I accept that the blurb forced me to go through the whole story.
Review:
The story starts with a common film scene where a group of four youngsters in the search of an adventurous story for their documentary enter in the abandoned Haveli of Brahmdev, a hill station near Mumbai and face some unwanted events…events those leads to their death. Sanya Sharma who is an investigative journalist gets a final chance to save her job through investigating the unnatural deaths of these youngsters. Sanya too has a shattered life, she has lost her husband and her daughter in a very short span of time. So to get out of depression and to distract her mind she takes this case.
Story continues at a slow pace with tiny grammatical errors and misspelled character names at some pages. The Story successfully send chills down my spine at times and bind me till the end. The secret behind the haunted haveli, the secret of the card game, Sanya’s way of dealing with the evil, this book actually made me curious that what is going to happen next??
Though, the language is simple and easy to understand. But at some point of time, the story-line seems like I’m reading a script of a horror movie. I think in an attempt of making it more compact yet interesting, the author missed to put some more information about some points. I feel that Mr. Goswami could put some more information regarding Nawab’s family.
Positive:
·         It is my first horror novel so, yeah at some point of time it did send chills down my spine.
·         Simple and easily understandable language.
·         What I love the most was the pace and the flow of storyline which bind me till the end.
·         It’s very appreciable move of author to put a whole horror story in just 140 pages or so.
Negative:
·         At some point of time it felt like I was reading a horror movie’s script. Story-plot seems quite common.
·         Book cover was quite dull and yeah if truly speaking it’s not so interesting.
·         Grammatical mistakes and misspelled character’s name which confused me at some point.
·         Story-line has a lot of twist and turns which is a plus point but at some point it seems not so horrifying.
Verdict:
My first encounter with a horror story was quite good. A good story-line with lots of twist and turns and better characterization. Khel- The Writings is a book which has all the wow factors to bind its readers till the end. It’s book of approx. 140 pages which makes it a quick read. So if you want to read a horror genre and too for a quick time-pass and want to get thrilled then I would recommend you go with this book named as “KHEL-THE WRITINGS”. Available on major online and offline stores for Rs.145, so go grab it soon.
Ratings:
Book cover: 3/5
Language: 3.5/5
Story-line: 3.75/5
Overall rating: 3.85/5



Comments